Get your abs ready for summer
I am bringing back the abs challenge from a couple years ago.
Start with power sit ups and leg lifts. Do each exercise for one minute each every day. Add another minute of each when that feels too easy. I'll post more exercises to give you variety, or find them on my YouTube Channel.
You can create big changes by taking small steps.
This is do-able.
All you have to do it commit and show up.
At Fuerte Fitness, we want to build strength endurance through exercise. But we also want to enjoy a healthy lifestyle that promotes overall wellness and longevity. That is why you often see me sharing recipes and talking about food prep and diet. Exercise is only one aspect of health.
This article by Harvard Health Publishing discusses three randomised clinical trials that found positive impacts on cardiovascular health in overweight individuals who followed variations of the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) Diet, including reducing blood pressure and cholesterol levels. These individuals did not consume fewer calories; they simply obtained their calories from different sources.
The DASH Diet is defined as "low in saturated fat and dietary cholesterol; rich in potassium, magnesium, calcium, and fiber; emphasizing fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products; including fish, poultry, nuts, and seeds; and limiting red meat, sweets, and sugary beverages." Participants who lowered their sodium further saw additional health benefits. You can use the guidelines below to start yourself on the DASH Diet. You also want to generally avoid canned and processed foods, fast food or convenience food, and excess added sugars. To take it another step, you can replace some carbohydrates with healthy protein. This is called the OMNI Heart eating plan, and the guileless are below as well.
We know it can be hard to find the time to workout every day or even multiple times a week. The good news is you can take steps toward better health just by making changes your diet.
Don't know where to start, or how to cook whole food that actually tastes great?! Browse through the blog archives for lots of great recipes. Or you can join the Mamacita Challenge starting February 6 to get a full month of recipes and menus, along with weekly workouts and live support. You can ask me all your questions and connect with other people looking to shift toward a healthier lifestyle.
Katherine D. McManus, M.S. (2018) Benefits of a healthy diet - with or without weight loss, Harvard Health. Harvard Health Publishing. Available at: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/benefits-of-a-healthy-diet-with-or-without-weight-loss-2018121915572 (Accessed: February 3, 2023).
Regular exercise benefits people of all ages, shapes, and sizes, and is one of the best things you can do for your health and longevity. Here are just 8 benefits of physical activity:
1. Weight management and weight loss. Exercise burns calories and keeps your metabolism going, even when you are sleeping.
2. Stronger bones and muscles. Exercise helps young and old people build stronger bones and slows the loss of bone density as you age. Studies have shown that strength or resistance training is the only type of exercise that strengthens your bones.
3. Prevents and helps manage disease and health conditions, such as cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, and many others.
4. Keeps your mind sharp. Exercise improves cognition and keeps your thinking, learning, and judgment skills on point.
5. Better mental health and reduces stress. Exercise improves your mood, reduces depression and anxiety, and helps you sleep better. It physically makes you happy with by producing neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine and opens the gate for more endorphins which relieve pain, reduce stress, and improve your sense of well-being.
6. Boosts your energy. Exercise has been shown to reduce fatigue. Aerobic exercise strengthens the cardiovascular system, making your heart and muscles more efficient. This allows you to do the same activities using less energy and without getting winded easily.
7. Better sex. Physical activity can improve sexual performance and pleasure, and is associated with increased desire and function for both men and women.
8. Longer life. An estimated 110,000 deaths per year could be prevented if US adults ages 40 and older increased their moderate-to-vigorous physical activity by a small amount. Even 10 minutes more a day would make a difference.*
There's no better time to start a daily exercise habit. Find fun ways to incorporate movement into your day. Instead of meeting friends for a coffee or meal, go for a walk or play sports together. Join an exercise class to make friends and stay motivated. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, when possible. Start a new hobby: kayaking, aerial yoga, ice skating, ballroom dancing... sky's the limit. Learning new skills while moving your body will bring even greater benefits!
At Fuerte Fitness, we are always here to support and inspire you, so feel free to get in touch or comment below!
Overcoming end-of-the-year overwhelm
It is easy to lose ground during the holidays when there are many competing demands for your time and attention. Here is an idea for maintaining the overall big picture and getting a better grip on your health and self care:
List some routine activities that nurture your mental, emotional, and physical heath- you will want to list at least one thing for each category. For example, yoga, mediation, journaling, a bike ride, eating 3 healthy meals, no alcohol, or cardio. Pick what you value and what is realistic for you. Keep track with a list or spreadsheet, and give yourself credit for what you can accomplish.
Watch the trends as the days go by. If you've missed a few workouts, make it a priority the next day; if you had drinks a couple nights in a row, skip it for the next couple days. You probably won't be able to do everything every day. But by mindfully choosing to balance your choices over time, you will do a better job taking care of yourself.
The Holiday Challenge provides a structure for keeping track of your progress on these kinds of goals over 6 weeks. You get points for each things you accomplish, with a weekly target and accountability to you coaches and Holiday Challenge community. And there is so much more!
Join us today to start on Nov 24.
The Holiday Challenge starts Nov 24!
I am so excited to announce this year's holiday challenge! I am teaming up with my long-time friend, amazing energy healer and coach Candice Box, to bring you a full body and mind renewal. What do you want your holiday season and new year to look like? Give yourself the greatest gift by joining us for 6 weeks of exercise, meditation, accountability, motivation, inspiration, mindset training, energy clearing,community and more.
Day by day, you will move closer to your goals. Let's do this together and kick off the new year in high gear.
Are you in? Sign up here.
Brought to You by Adriana
Living the good, fit life in Seattle, WA. Stay tuned for more bilingual fitness tips and nutritious recipes.