Recipe by Jamie Vespa
Healthy and a crowd pleaser!
Active: 20 min. Total: 1 hr. 20 min.
Habaneros contain more capsaicin (the compound that contributes spicy heat) than jalapeños, but removing the seeds and membranes lessens that heat considerably.
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
⅓ cup blueberry preserves
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. minced jalapeño
Chiles, seeds and membranes removed, divided (I also used a tablespoon of habanero sauce for more heat)
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar, divided
½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
½ tsp. black pepper, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups very thinly sliced cored red cabbage
1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
½ cup thinly sliced radishes
⅓ cup chopped fresh basil or cilantro
2 tbsp. lime juice
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. tapioca flour
1 tbsp. water
6 whole-wheat hamburger buns, of 12 mini sliders-lightly toasted
1. Coat a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray; place chicken in bottom of slow cooker.
2. Combine apricot preserves, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons habanero chile, 2 teaspoons vinegar, ¾ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, and garlic in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Pour apricot mixture over chicken in slow cooker. Toss to coat. Cover and cook on LOW pressure in instapot or oven.
3. Combine cabbage, carrots, radishes, cilantro in a large bowl. Stir together lime juice, oil, remaining 1 teaspoon vinegar, remaining 1 teaspoon habanero, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon black pepper. In a separate smaller bowl. Add to cabbage mixture; toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes.
4. Transfer chicken to a cutting board. Shred with 2 forks; place in a large bowl. Skim fat from juices in slow cooker; discard fat. Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl; stir until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixtures into juices in slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken back to slow cooker; toss to combine.
5. Place 5 or 2 ounces chicken mixture on each bun. Top each with ½ cup slaw.
CALORIES 385; FAT 11.5g (sat 31g, mono 5.2g, poly 2.2g) PROTEIN 38g; CARB 41g; FIBER 7g; SUGAR 12g (est. added sugar 6g); CHOL 120 mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 624mg; CALC 355mg
Brought to You by Adriana
Living the good, fit life in Seattle, WA. Stay tuned for more bilingual fitness tips and nutritious recipes.